Network Diagnostics Pro and Joe's Network Utility differ in this way that ND Pro comes without WiFi functionality as lately regulated by Apple.
The network utility is the All-In-One tool to help you troubleshooting and analyzing your network. Each tool simply implements the best solution on the iPhone/iPod touch.
It currently consits of the following tool sets:
- all functions are being implemented the iphone/ipod touch GUI way.
- list with your favorites separated for each each tool
- usage of your favorites between tools (as long as possible for required functionality)
- grouped history of Pings being send and a summary for each ping session, grouped history for traceroute path, lookups being done, magic packets being send
- definition of number of packets to send
- timeout definition for each ping, ping answers being received later than the timeout are marked in red
- trace route timeout values and maximum path length adjustable
- if nothing is entered in the input section a so called super favorite is being used
- usage of result entries as inputs for different sections (new in 1.6) just tap a result.
- eMail results of any section (new in 1.3) just tap a result.
- access application settings (such as timout, repeat count etc) now from witin the application (new in 1.6)
- shows and tracks Wifi networks in reach with detailed information
- works via Wifi, 3G, EDGE, GPRS, VPN
With beginning of Version 1.5 you can now arrange the tools order to your own preference.
Furthermore you can decide which tool runs at startup by moving it to the left of the screen selection.
You can enter or change the applications preferences in your device’s preferences section selecting this application or on the fly within the tool settings tab (new in version 1.6)
In the device's preference section you can change:
- Ping timeout
- Ping repeat count
- Ping super favorite
- Trace timeout
- Trace maximum path length
- Trace super favorite
- DNS super favorite
- Wake on LAN default Port
- Wake on LAN super favorite host
- Wake on LAN super favorite host’s MAC
In the tools settings section you can change all application preference settings and additionally
- Wifi automatic scan enabled
- Wifi scan interval
- Wifi sort order (new in 1.62)
- Wifi minimum signal strength (new in 1.64
- Favorite Selector
The Favorite Selector defines which Favorite is is initially shown when the favorites section is being displayed. Possible values are:
- Ping group
- Adaptive 2
When selecting adaptive depending on the tool from which the favorites where opened the appropriate favorites are being shown:
- Ping shows Ping favorites
- Trace shows Ping favorites
- DNS shows DNS favorites
- WoL shows WoL favorites
Adaptive 2 is slighty different for the ping favorites since Ping show Ping groups favorites instead of Ping favorites. For the rest of the tools the selection is the same as for "Adaptive"
Trace (multi path hops) DNS lookup and reverse lookup Wake on LAN
Info section (sample output) Favorites
WiFi Detailed Wifi Info
Ping groups Favorites showing Ping Groups Ping group creation
Ping options Ping email options
For more info about each function go to the specific Network - Utility tool section page